Schools! Apply before March 31st . Get $1 K for Green Initiatives!
Metro is donating $1 million to help schools with Green initiatives they undertake on their grounds ,or in their communities. Has your school applied yet?
I haven’t been able to find the criteria for Quebec schools yet. Here are the guidelines for Ontario schools:
- Must be a registered elementary or high school in Ontario.
- Must submit application no later than March 31, 2011 (submissions will be evaluated on a first-come first-serve approach)
- Must have approval from class teacher/ project leader and school principal.
- Must register online at www.greenapplegrants.ca
- Must meet all criteria as outlined below.
- Must execute the project/ program by June 30, 2011
- Eligibility is subject to change without notice.
Environmental initiatives can take place within school property, outside on school grounds or within the school community.
- i.e. Purchase of new recycling bins, tree planting on school property or weekly clean-ups of community playground
All environmental initiatives must support at least one of the following environmental goals:
- Ecological resource management: water savings, energy savings, raw material (ex. paper, compost), etc.
- Ecological waste management: waste free lunches, etc.
- Protection of eco-systems and biodiversity. ex. tree planting, park or river bank cleaning.
- Environmental initiative must support school curriculum criteria (See www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum )
- Must submit application no later than March 31, 2011
- All projects must contain an "awareness" component, and raise consciousness amongst students and/or the community.
- Accepted projects must be viable in time, and do so without the continual support of the Green Apple School Program (the Selection Committee will ensure that the program does not finance the same project two years in a row).
How to Apply for the Green Apple Grant
- Applications must be completed online at www.greenapplegrants.ca no later than March 31, 2011
- The Green Apple School Program concludes on June 30, 2011
- Applications will require the following information:
- Describe your idea in 3 to 5 bullet points.
- Briefly describe how you plan to execute the idea.
- What positive impact will the project have on the environment?
- Who is involved in the project? (Class, school, community?)
- Are the results of your project measurable? If so, how?
- How does this project support school curriculum criteria?
Funding will be paid directly to the selected school to cover the expenses of their environmental initiative.
- Metro will invest up to $1 million per province (Ontario & Quebec) to support the Green Apple School Program. Grants worth $1,000 each will be awarded to selected applicants.
- Any one school can receive a maximum of two Green Apple Grants during the school year. Two separate environmental initiatives must be submitted in order to be considered for two separate grants.
- All funding must support the selected school's environmental initiatives and those initiatives must meet criteria. The class/school must provide a one page Summary Report once the project has been completed.
- If a grant is awarded, a cheque payable to the school will be mailed to the Principal. The Store Manager will contact you to make arrangements for the presentation of the certificate.
- Grants will be announced and posted on www.greenapplegrants.ca as they are awarded.
Good luck to all schools!
Please leave a comment if this has been helpful, or if you know of another grant program for Canadian schools or green initiatives.